Loose Parts Outdoors

Loose Parts in the EYFS...

It really seems to be 'all the rage' at the moment and for good reason! It means possibility, creativity and imagination.

Mary Jo Sutton defines them as "any collection of fully movable elements that inspire a person to pick them up, to re-arrange or create new configurations, even realities, one piece or multiple pieces at a time". 

Their early use could be seen in the Froebel Kindergartens and later inspired Maria Montessori. Now there are a range of heuristic and loose parts play items that you can purchase and even dedicated accounts like the fantastic 'patterns_and_pictures_play' by Stimulating Learning with Rachel* that is dedicated to loose parts play. I have built up an ever growing collection of loose parts indoors that the children use quite creatively but I wasn't seeing the same kind of use outdoors. The outdoor area in my new provision is a large space with quite range of materials; foam bricks, planks, blocks, crates, tyres and logs. I love that the open ended materials are on a larger scale to compliment the outdoor space. So why the lack of engagement?

At first I was thinking about things like the location of the materials, checking their condition etc but the answer turned out to be quite simple. The children really didn't know how to play with them. They are so different than materials they would normally come across. As a new age and demographic of children for me I sometimes need to stop and remember that they often need that extra modelling and support. So I put down my iPad and clipboard and I played. I just created simple structures at first, which the children used in a very physical way as obstacle courses.

 

 If only I could show you the massive smiles and looks of concentration on their faces!


It was wonderful to see children using the materials and our next step is to take this on more independently and begin to use them to assist role play and add a narrative. This time, I will make sure to be playing right along side them to support them in this next step. 

I am looking to expand the bank of resources. I managed to get my hands on some real bricks which I absolutely adore...

















...and I am hoping to acquire some pallets, cable reels and cones.

Do you use loose parts in your setting? I would love suggestions for other items we could use? Any tips for getting them?

https://www.instagram.com/stimulatinglearningwithrachel/



Sutton, M. J. (2011) 'In the Hand and Mind: The Intersection of Loose Parts and Imagination in Evocative Settings for Young Children', Children Youth and Environments, 21 (2), p. 408.

Comments

Popular Posts