The Phases of Block Play

The Phases of Block Play

Block play and construction are definitely one of my favourite areas in the classroom. They develop motor skills, creativity, mathematical knowledge and so much more. But do you ever feel like the curriculum doesn't go into enough depth on the skills? I did too...


There have been a lot of things I have had to closely examine since moving into down into Nursery (that perhaps I took for granted before). I was so used to elaborate creations with narratives and dramatic play. My little ones were creating simple towers using one material for what felt like forever. I was continually trying to support them through modelling more complex building and providing a wider range of open ended resources but this only seemed to impact my older children. So I researched, observed and pinpointed the different phases in my children's building and block play. Once I started to support and extend pupils from their specific phase with an achievable next step I saw great progress and engagement! 



Stage A: Exploration (2 and 3 years old) 
Carrying around the blocks or piling them 
Sensory experience 
Learning about blocks and what blocks can do

Stage B: Towers and Arrangements (3 years old) 
Pile the blocks to make a tower or lay the blocks on the floor in rows, either horizontally or vertically
Lots of repetition
•      Play games knocking down and rebuilding towers to encourage this.

Stage C: Creating Bridges (3 and 4 years old)
Connecting two blocks with a space between them with a third block
Requires resilience and perseverance
Balance and their eye-hand coordination improves
•       Use images of real bridges to support this.


Stage D: Creating Enclosures (4 years old)
Shows an understanding of inside/ outside
Place blocks so to enclose a space of inside and outside
Simple imaginative play begins
•       Play around 'traps' outdoors encourages this as they realise they can be 'in' their   
    constructions and then extend to characters and toys.   


Stage E: Using Representation (4 and 5 years old) 
Using symmetry, patterns, balance, and designs to create buildings
Element of dramatic play to their block building
Naming the structure and its function
•       Support by adding familiar characters to link story and building


Stage F: Complex Building (5 years+) 
Curved buildings, multiple levels, the building over other structures and toys 
Cooperative building with planning and discussions 
•       Support using a range of open-ended materials

I created a poster to use in my construction area that you are welcome to download and use >> here <<. 






Comments

Popular Posts